(Content Warning: sexual assault, rape, abuse)
The season of giving is amongst us, with Thanksgiving having passed recently, Christmas is right around the corner. If you’re anything like me and you have the tendency to put off Christmas shopping until the very last minute, look no further.
I’ve compiled a short Christmas wish list filled with links to various funds and projects that you can donate your money to, as a present to me, your family, friends, and the rest of the world.
– The Muslim ARC hopes to build a physical space in Detroit, one of the most racially segregated cities in the United States, and are seeking to bring together a community to fight against racist policies, practices, and to provide solutions to advance racial equity. The current goal of this project is $25,785 and so far they have raised $13,978. The deadline for this project ends on December 15, 2017.
– The goal of this project is to earn up to $50,000 to open up a youth community space in Southside Chicago, to create “a home for our Ominira, Akerele and Assata University programs and continue to build out powerful place-based organizing efforts through our work with young people!”
There is no deadline for this project but as of recently they have raised $10,750 out of their $50,000 goal.
– Buy a Christmas present for children of incarcerated mothers, click on the Amazon link below to donate within your means to this project. It would mean a lot to these mothers and their children.
– Coordinated by Moms United Against Violence and Incarceration in Community with Chicago Legal Advocacy for Incarcerated mothers (CGLA), Nehemiah Trinity Rising/Trinity UCC, Lifted Voices, Love & Protect, and Chicago League of Abolitionist Whites.
– GIVE YOUR MONEY TO TRANS WOMEN OF COLOR. I don’t think I need to say anymore than that. THANK YOU.
– Create an account with the Appolition project, it will take spare change out of any of your debit purchases and reroute them to a bail fund created for incarcerated people.
– Jee Jing is a survivor of rape and is currently struggling with injuries she’s sustained after her sexual assault, on top of that she was fired from her job and has not been able to make enough money to survive and pay for her medical bills. The goal of this fund was set at $23,500 and so far $17,136 has been raised.
– All funds will go toward helping her move out of the environment and to avoid homelessness. Currently $2,025 has been raised out of the $3,000 goal.
Any amount is highly appreciated and if you can’t donate please do help circulate this post around so that other people in your network of friends can help as well! Thank you so much.
Pliab (Plee-ah) Vang is Hmong American. A feminist. An undergraduate senior at St. Cloud State University, majoring in Psychology with a minor in Women’s Studies. She enjoys talking race, gender, class, social issues and pop-culture and is passionate about Asian American and Pacific Islander issues. Pliab is a Master of Procrastination. She spends an unhealthy amount of her time binging (but never actually finishing) TV shows, scrolling through Twitter, and hanging out with friends. Social media consultant.